Apologies for not including this in my original reply.

Here are the lines in the $CATALINA_HOME/examples/WEB.XML file that should
be on or about lines 68 - 73.  If you comment these out exceptions for
filters.SetCharacterEncodingFilter should disappear (even if you leave in
the declaration for the filter in the lines above).

If you have other error messages (from either catalina_log or localhost_log,
etc) then post the stack trace and a description of the problem and we'll
try to help.   Can't do much more without the information.

    <filter-mapping>
        <filter-name>Set Character Encoding</filter-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </filter-mapping>

Steven