> Thanks - I've tried both the latest stable (which doesn't appear to contain a
> DataSource implementation) and the latest dev version (which does) of the
> postgres jdbc drivers. Both fail...

I have both of them, but there is no DataSource implementation class. What was your
download link? Mine was from http://jdbc.postgresql.org/downloads/

> I'd kind of assumed that even a completely non-existant class would still
> result in an instantiated DataSource object, but that I wouldn't be able to
> retrieve any connections (duh !) from it - is this the behaviour I should
> expect, or is the behaviour I'm getting (viz a null pointer) what should be
> expected under those circumstances?

OK, my next step is to dig into Tomcat sources and see what the hell is it actually
doing while server parsing. Can anyone tell me where it is exactly and spare me the
trouble of wandering through the entire source?

> Currently my application will scale to about 3 users - fortunately it's a
> spare time project, so this doesn't actually matter in any real sense ;-)

So is mine, but it is frustrating to waste months of ones spare time on breaking
walls...

Nix.