----- Original Message -----
From: "Wagoner, Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Tomcat Users List'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 2:12 PM
Subject: RE: AW: Multiple users share java bean?

> Are you sure you really want independent instances of the bean, or just
the
> ability to keep the variable values separate by user?  If it is the
latter,
> then just use local variables in your bean methods.

It seems that couldn't work. The value of such variables can be updated by
another user's when there are two or more users calling the same java bean
almost at the same time. Here is my main work. First jsp write uname (when a
user login the website, there is a user name "uname") to the bean and
activate it, and get the result  or save it to the database.
 Jsp file:
<jsp:useBean id="mb" class="mybean.test" scope="page" />
???How about the scope value? session or request or page?
<jsp:setProperty name="mb" property="uname" value="<%=loginname) %>"/>
<%= mb.test() %></p>

Bean code:
public class test
{
    String uname= "";

    public synchronized int test()
    {
        int real=0;
        int eventCounter=0;
        int numEvents;

        // connect to the database and get the numEvents according to the
uname.
        .........;

        while(eventCounter<=numEvents)
        {
            real=eventCounter;

            // wait for 0.01 second
            try{wait(10);}
            catch(InterruptedException e){};
            eventCounter++;
        }
        return real;
    }

    public synchronized void setUname(String sec)
    {
        uname= sec;
    }
}

For user1, numEvents=100; and user2, it's 120. So I want to run them at the
same time, and hope to get resuls 100 and 120 respectively. But in fact I
got both 100 or 120. Have any idea? If my description is not clear, tell me
please.