I'm working on a web application that will be used by about 150 people concurrently.
One of the requirements is to show text field hints in the status bar whenever the
mouse passes over a text field. All of the hints are stored in the database.

I need to write a class that will be available at the application level that returns
some javascript along with the correct hint for whatever field the mouse is currently
over. Since there are over 1000 fields in this web application, I'm looking for
alternatives to writing a class with a get method for each field.

What would work very well is if I could pass an argument in a getProperty call. For
example,

<jsp:getProperty name="testBean" property="hintText" value="firstName" />

That way, I could store the values in a hashtable and just get whatever one was
requested. Of course, I can't do that. I also can't set a property & then immediately
call get property to get the one I just requested in the set since the class is going
to be shared by all users.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this? I feel sure there must be a way, but I can't
think of it.

Thanks
--Michael