On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Matthew Tepel wrote:

> This is a feature that we really need.  I would consider writing it myself
> if I knew more about how mod_jk works, what previous discussion has gone
> on in this area, how much work it involves, etc.  Any suggestions?

Any help is great. You can start by subscribing to tomcat-dev.

The biggest problem is the apache multiprocess model - we need a mechanism
to tell _all_ apache processes to stop sending requests to a worker.

There are 2 possible solutions ( that I know ): the jserv solution was to
use a shmem segment and check it on each request.

Another solution is to use a signal or have each process listen on
a port (unix socket or similar ).

My sugestion is to do that in  jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/native2.
( i.e. jk2 ), the code has been cleaned up, reorganised and has a much
better configuration mechanism designed for this kind of runtime
reconfiguration.

I have this reconfiguration on my todo list, but I need to stabilise
the code first and make sure everything else works.  I did some
experiments with the pool in jserv ( i.e started to move it and
use apr ), I'll check in when is in a decent shape.

I think you can hack jk1 too to get this to work - if you need it
very quickly ( jk_worker_lb is the starting point, you can port the jserv
shmem if you want - or wait for my commit ).

Costin