<snip>
> The same applet works from other sources without a
> problem.

Would I be right in thinking that "other sources" means embedding an
<object> or <applet> tag in a HTML page?

I don't think your browser would be able to download and run the applet (As
after all applets are ran on the CLIENT(browser) not on the SERVER (Tomcat))
as the webapp directory under which your applet class file is stored cannot
be viewed externally from the server. This is to ensure security of all code
and files stored in the webapps directory. If you want a browser to be able
to download and execute the applet then put the class file in a public
directory and have your servlet generate html for the <object> or <applet>
tag pointing to its location.

If on the other hand you're talking about a servlet using the code within an
applet then I think you may run into trouble as the class would inherit from
JApplet or Applet. It might work if it is found in the classpath, but I'm
doubtful. Just do a copy/paste of the vital code if this is what you're
doing.

Of course I could have completely mis-interpretted what you meant! =o)

Hope that helps,

Adam.

|                              Adam Fowler                             |
| Third year undergraduate          | TomcatBook Project               |
| Computer Science                  | Author and Administrator         |
| University of Wales, Aberystwyth  | http://tomcatbook.sourceforge.net|
| Web: http://users.aber.ac.uk/aff9 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]       |