    Uma> Hi David
    Uma>    Thanks for replying.
    Uma> Iam using Metrowerks CodeWarrior IDE for compiling, it uses JDK1.3
    Uma> and tomcat also uses JDK1.3

    Uma> The only directory name which has space is tomcat installation directory.
    Uma> i.e Apache Tomcat 4.0.

Just to eliminate those possibilities, I would suggest the following:

First reinstall (not rename) your Tomcat installation so that it resides in a
directory path without spaces.  Then retest.

>From a DOS prompt, type "java -version".  Make sure it's what you expect.  Also
type "javac -help", although it's a little harder to tell from this what
version you're getting.

Both of these are long shots.