Hi all,

  i searched the archives but could not come up with an answer for this.

I have everything working for LDAP authentication on my server, and i've
figured out how to include non plain text passwords everywhere except for
the connectionPassword attribute of the <Realm> tag in the
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml file.  I would like to replace the
"MY_CURRENT_PLAIN_TEXT_PASSWORD" string with an encrypted password for this
configuration file, as everyone knows, this is otherwise a pretty good
security hole.

           <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm" debug="99"
                connectionName="cn=root,dc=MYDOMAIN,dc=ca"
            connectionPassword="MY_CURRENT_PLAIN_TEXT_PASSWORD"
                 connectionURL="ldap://MYHOST:389";
                      roleBase="dc=roles,dc=MYDOMAIN,dc=ca"
                      roleName="cn"
                    roleSearch="(uniqueMember={0})"
                   roleSubtree="false"
                        digest="SHA"
                  userPassword="userPassword"
                   userPattern="uid={0},dc=MYDOMAIN,dc=ca"
          />

I've tried using this : java org.apache.catalina.realm.RealmBase -a
{algorithm} {cleartext-password}, which is what i used to enter my passwords
into my OpenLDAP server, but with this you specify the encryption algorithm
with the digest attribute.

Please help.  How do i specify the algorithm and encrypted password for the
connectionPassword attribute; and if you would......which tool do i use to
create this password?

Thanks a million!!!