From: "Jason Koeninger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2002 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: java.lang.ClassFormatError out of the Blue

> This may not be the what you're having problems with, but the only time
I've seen this
> was when I was deploying via FTP and forgot to set my scripts to use
binary mode.

> Best Regards,
>
> Jason Koeninger
> J&J Computer Consulting
> http://www.jjcc.com
>
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:55:05 -0400, hemant wrote:
>
> >I Use Tomcat 4.0.2 and  Struts 1.0.2 with VA 3.5.3
> >
> >Everything was perfect until, one inauspicious moment in the afternoon
when I suddenly got this exception from nowhere.

> >I have no clue as to why and how. But I do see that this is a
ClassFormatException so, I moved the application related code (not struts)
onto another machine where I previously
> deployed my app. The app was fine on this box earlier.Now, I get the same
ClassFormatError there too so, It has to do with the code I moved.

> >The Java API says that it is "Thrown when the Java Virtual Machine
attempts to read a class file and determines that the file is malformed or
otherwise cannot be interpreted as a
> class file. "
> >
> >So .class file is corrupt/malformed. But which? I am trying to force a
recompile on classes by adding a space, etc.

---------------------------------

> >root cause
> >
> >java.lang.ClassFormatError
> > java.lang.Throwable()
> > java.lang.Error()
> > java.lang.LinkageError()
> > java.lang.ClassFormatError()
> > java.lang.Class java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(java.lang.String,
byte [], int, int, java.security.ProtectionDomain)
> > java.lang.Class java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String, byte
[], int, int, java.security.ProtectionDomain)
> > java.lang.Class java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String, byte
[], int, int)
> > java.lang.Class
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadClass(java.lang.String, boolean)
> > java.lang.Class
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JasperLoader.loadClass(java.lang.String)
> > boolean org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.loadJSP(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, boolean, javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,
> javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.loadIfNecessary(javax
.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest, javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(javax.servlet
.http.HttpServletRequest, javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse, boolean)
> > void
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(javax.servlet.http.HttpS
ervletRequest, javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse, java.lang.String,
> java.lang.Throwable, boolean)
> > void
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletR
equest, javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
> > void
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(javax.servlet.ServletRequest,
javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(javax.servlet.ServletR
equest, javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(javax.servlet.Servl
etRequest, javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(javax.servlet.Servlet
Request, javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.processActionForward(org.apache.strut
s.action.ActionForward, org.apache.struts.action.ActionMapping,
> org.apache.struts.action.ActionForm,
javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest,
javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(javax.servlet.http.HttpServle
tRequest, javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet
Request, javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
> > void
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest
, javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse)
> > void
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(javax.servlet.ServletRequest,
javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(javax.servl
et.ServletRequest, javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(javax.servlet.Servl
etRequest, javax.servlet.ServletResponse)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Req
uest, org.apache.catalina.Response, org.apache.catalina.ValveContext)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(org.apache.catalina.Req
uest, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request
, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request,
org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Req
uest, org.apache.catalina.Response, org.apache.catalina.ValveContext)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(org.apache.catalina.Req
uest, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request
, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request,
org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request,
org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Reques
t, org.apache.catalina.Response, org.apache.catalina.ValveContext)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(org.apache.catalina.Req
uest, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke(org.apache.catalina.R
equest, org.apache.catalina.Response, org.apache.catalina.ValveContext)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(org.apache.catalina.Req
uest, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Reque
st, org.apache.catalina.Response, org.apache.catalina.ValveContext)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(org.apache.catalina.Req
uest, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request
, org.apache.catalina.Response, org.apache.catalina.ValveContext)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(org.apache.catalina.Req
uest, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request
, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request,
org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Requ
est, org.apache.catalina.Response, org.apache.catalina.ValveContext)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invokeNext(org.apache.catalina.Req
uest, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request
, org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(org.apache.catalina.Request,
org.apache.catalina.Response)
> > void
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpProcessor.process(java.net.Socket)