Hi,

I'm developing a web application using the Struts framework, running on
Tomcat 4.0.3, from which I need to access a MySQL database.  I've read
various mailing lists etc looking for the best way to achieve this, but
not had much luck.

Struts provides a basic Connection Pool, but user comments suggest that
this is not suitable for large-scale, high-traffic applications, and
also that it will soon be removed from Struts in favour of a
container-managed connection pool.  I've found references to
DbConnectionBroker and Jakarta's commons-dbcp module.  It seems to make
sense to use the latter, to keep the entire project neatly under the
Jakarta project, but I'd appreciate comments on either.

I'm fairly new to Tomcat (and Servlets), and I can't find any simple
examples of how to use one of these connection pools.  I suspect that I
need to add something to my server.xml, and instantiate the pool in the
servlet's init() method.  It would be greatly appreciated if someone
could provide some simple instructions to get me started - sample code
would be fantastic.

I hope to write about my experiences with this once I understand it -
there seems to be a need for documentation in this area.

Regards,

   Ric Searle
   Web Application Developer
   --