you're talking about a clustered environment.  such capabilities
are already available in commercial app servers like weblogic.

here are some things you want to do now if you think you'll ever
go clustered:

- make sure everything you put into the session implements Serializable.
  this way the app server can share session data.
- don't put large data objects (like a Collection) into the session.
- don't rely on static data held in singleton objects, because you may
  end up with multiple singleton objects, one in every app server instance.
- code to standards and avoid app-server-specific "features" as much
  as you can, for you may have to change app servers for clustering.

                         - david -