Steven Elliott wrote:

> I wholeheartedly disagree with the FAQ @ Distributopia. I
> think servlets are the best way to schedule tasks

 I'd say that's going a bit far. There are obvious drawbacks.

> and they can be packaged with your application on whatever
> platform that you deploy on.

 Using a servlet container as an application server is
undeniably appealing, and very convenient. If all you've
got is a hammer, etc, etc.

 I've found that many people fall into the "Well, it works
fine for me" trap. Instead of programming to the spec, they
program to whatever servlet container they happen to be
using for development work. Sometimes you have to settle for
that, but no programmer should aspire to it. At the very
least, developers should be aware of potential problems
and consciously choose to trade safety for convenience. That's
the whole point of the FAQ.

 I'm curious what you suggest should happen if the user's
servlets are swapped out during the time the task should
be running. Is the background thread destroyed, in which
case the task doesn't run? Or do you leave it running, in
which case you've got a resource leak?

 If you're depending on your particular servlet container
never doing something like that, well, that's probably ok.
But you may get a nasty shock the next time you upgrade your
server. At the very least, people should know that there's
a potential problem, and document it for the benefit of
future maintainers.

--
Christopher St. John [EMAIL PROTECTED]
DistribuTopia http://www.distributopia.com