Hi

I tried to set up an RMI server in tomcat 4.03

First problem is, there seems to be no possibility to have something in
tomcat like weblogics startup classes, i.e. classes that are called at
server startup.

So I had to trigger a servlet by hand that does the initialisation and
registry of the RMI server.

Tomcat and RMI client both on my NT machine worked.

On different machines the client gets the exception below.
Running the RMI Server in a stand-alone VM outside of tomcat
works.

First I had the following,

if (null == System.getSecurityManager())
            System.setSecurityManager(new RMISecurityManager());

but it would not be called as tomcat already has a SecurityManager. So I
left the if - part but still no
change.

So I wonder, if it is possible to have an RMI Server in Tomcat at all?

I started with catalina start -security.

catalina.policy is only

grant {
        permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

   [java] java.rmi.ConnectException: Connection refused to host: localhost;
nested exception is:
   [java]     java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
   [java]     at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:567)
   [java]     at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.createConnection(TCPChannel.java:185)
   [java]     at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPChannel.newConnection(TCPChannel.java:171)
   [java]     at sun.rmi.server.UnicastRef.invoke(UnicastRef.java:101)
   [java]     at webservice.rmiserver.RMIServerImpl_Stub.register(Unknown
Source)
   [java]     at
.webservice.rmiclient.RMIClientImpl.main(RMIClientImpl.java:110)
   [java] Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
   [java]     at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
   [java]     at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:295)
   [java]     at
java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:161)
   [java]     at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:148)
   [java]     at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:425)
   [java]     at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:375)
   [java]     at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:290)
   [java]     at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:118)
   [java]     at
sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIDirectSocketFactory.createSocket(RMIDirectSocketFactory.java:22)
   [java]     at
sun.rmi.transport.proxy.RMIMasterSocketFactory.createSocket(RMIMasterSocketFactory.java:122)
   [java]     at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPEndpoint.newSocket(TCPEndpoint.java:562)
   [java]     ... 5 more
   [java] Java Result: 1