Neil:

I think this has been discussed on this list. You can check the archives.

It sounds like what you want is to be able to split the https session from
http activity during browsing, so that a single user could, for instance,
view non-sensitive information from an ordinary catalog page while filling
in an order form, without having to open up Netscape and Opera to run two
separate sessions. There may be a place where you could patch (your own copy
of) Tomcat to allow the server to try to do that. I seem to recall something
like that mentioned on this list recently. I also seem to recall browser
issues mentioned in that context.

I don't really have any experience in this, but I think it wise to urge due
caution. There are a lot of ways to unwittingly open the https session to
prying eyes by running http activity in parallel, especially if your http
pages have any awareness of the https session in progress.

I may be way off base, but I think it is those dangers that might influence
a design decision to lose session information when switching back and forth.
That way, the programmers have to _explicitly_ define and implement their
own security/privacy policies.

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka