In Tomcat 4.x, this is accomplished by adding a LifecycleListener
to the appropriate container, Engine, Host, etc.  An example of
how something like this is done may be found at:

<http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/config/host.html#User%20Web%20Applications>

In this case, the Listener is added to the Host container.  It
adds user home directories as contexts when the Lifecyle.START_EVENT
occurs.  See the org.apache.catalina.startup.UserConfig source
for implementation details.  Hopefully, this will get you started.

Cheers,
Larry