I found a couple of messages in the archives about this, but not enough to
understand
what to do about it.

I get the following exception when I try to start Catalina with the 'run'
command.  This is the 4.0.4.b2-01 package I downloaded last week, and which
ran then but not now(??).

>catalina run
Using CATALINA_BASE:   c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-b2-01
Using CATALINA_HOME:   c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-b2-01
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-b2-01\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       C:\jdk1.3.1_01
Exception during startup processing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException:
javax.xml.parsers.FactoryConfigurationError: Provider o
rg.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserFactoryImpl could not be instantiated:
java.lang.SecurityException: s
ealing violation
        at
javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory.newInstance(SAXParserFactory.java:141)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.xml.XmlMapper.readXml(XmlMapper.java:224)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:725)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

I did a clean install from the zip file, and still the same problem.  I am
taking whatever XML parser libs provided in the package, without change.  No
clue as to what changed between last week and this.  Does anyone know how to
fix this?

Walden Mathews
ILX Systems