Hi Rainer.

I am having the same confusion as you.  Based on testing the time required to get each
connection, it appears as though the standard JNDI DataSource lookups do not return
any sort of a pooled connection - it took virtually identical times to get a
connection from the JNDI DataSource as it did from a standard JDBC connection call.

I've tried implementing the latest pooling factory as set out by Craig (using
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory), but I can't get this to work.  No
matter what I try to do I always get the following error when I try to get a
connection from
the returned DataSource:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:380)
        at org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.getConnection(Unknown Source)
        at ubc.pubs.server.security.DBAccess.getDBConnection(DBAccess.java:47)
        at ubc.pubs.server.security.DBAccess.getConnection(DBAccess.java:26)

Anyways, that's my 2 cents worth...

If anybody can help with info on getting a jdbc connection pool going, I would be
greatly appreciative.

pete.

> Hi, I am getting a little confused about the topic weather Tomcat 4.x ist
> having a Connection Pooling implementet or not. I was following the discussions
> the last few days and the answers have been a little contradicting. Therfore my
> question loud and clear ; ) Is there a Connection Pooling using JNDI with
>Tomcat 4.x or not? Below some postings concerning this topic from the last few
>days...
>
>Thanks Rainer

Pete Clearwater
Systems Analyst           Enrolment Services
Student Systems           Brock Hall
tel: 604.822.8662         2016-1874 East Mall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         Vancouver BC, Canada, V6T 1Z1