Here are a couple tomcat-user postings on the differences.  They might help:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg50263.html

http://www.mail-archive.com/tomcat-user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg49707.html

They are not quite solid, but they are something.  I am still looking
for a more definitive discussion myself.  Please post any you find as well.

Thanx!

jeff

Cynthia Jeness wrote:

> I believe that this is a known problem and one suggested workaround is
> to do the following:
>
>         "Uncomment the line "ServerName=localhost" and changed
> "localhost" to "www.ajug.org". Unless this line is uncommented, then
> Apache will generate an error (Invalid virtual host name) when
> restarted. "
>
> Of course, change "localhost" to the correct name of your server.
> "www.ajug.org" is my web server.  You can find our Tomcat4 how-to at
> this URL:
>
>    http://www.ajug.org/howto/tomcat4.html
>

> Cynthia Jeness
> Web Chair, Atlanta Java Users Group
>

> Karoly VEGH wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>i try to get apache communicate with tomcat,
>>
>>i have the following section in my httpd.conf:
>>
>>-------->8-------------------------
>>
>><IfModule mod_webapp.c>
>> WebAppConnection conn      warp  localhost:8008
>> WebAppDeploy     examples    conn      /examples
>># WebAppInfo /webapp-info
>></IfModule>
>>
>>-------------8<--------------------
>>
>>WebAppDeploy takes three arguments, <name> <connection> <uri-path>
>>
>>the problem is at apachectl configtest:
>>
>>Syntax error on line 1039 of /etc/apache/httpd.conf:
>>Invalid virtual host name
>>
>>the 1039th line is WebAppDeploy     examples    conn      /examples
>>
>>what virtual host does he await?
>>
>>tia,
>>
>>Charlie
>>
>>--