David Lu commented:

> presumably your current configuration is not java based, so
> the largest cost of moving to tomcat/mysql would be development.
> unless your site is very simple, chances are the development
> cost will overshadow any savings you may realize from software
> licenses.

Very true. Monetary cost of licensing can quickly be eaten up in learning
curves for new technologies. It's not a good idea to get into open source
looking for big short-term gains today.

What you really want to do is compare the cost of re-tooling to open source
now to the cost of trying to gain your desired robustness, scaleability,
etc. within the Microsoft-defined set of solutions.

In my experience, it's always been difficult to break new ground by staying
under Microsoft's shadow. Freedom is not about money, it's about options.

Joel Rees
(My opinions do not necessarily reflect the positions of my employer.)