I think that most of the responses I've seen here to
the original question are missing the point.

I understand the question as he's wondering whether or
not you could programatically authenticate a user,
such that the container would then recognize the user
as being authenticated and not require another login
when viewing pages designated as protected by the
container.

The solutions that people are pointing out are simple
"roll your own" authentication solutions that are
completely independent of declarative
(container-managed) security.

Tim

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/ssl-howto.html