hi,
maybe some of these comments you've seen in previous replies to your
question.

First of all, the classes12.zip is not the same for Oracle9i and 8i, so
you must ensure that you've downloaded the correct one (from
otn.oracle.com).

You must install the Oracle Client Software to use OCI driver and set up
connections and such, as it uses TNSNames.ora to create connection to
the database server.

There are two drivers in the classes12.zip one is the OCI and the other
is the thin driver.

I have used the thin driver most the time, it works fine, and I think
most cases it is sufficient to use that one.

remember to rename the zip file to .jar.

hope it helps
-reynir