hi -- i had this problem a while back -- i don't know that you've explained
it clearly, but it sounds like the same problem i had.

The limitation is in the servlet specification itself.  Mapping is not
designed to work this way...I remember being really disappointed when I read
the servlet specification's description of mappings.  What I ended up doing
was for special cases I created my own "dispatch" servlet that would mangle
the incoming url and forward or redirect to the appropriate resource.

good luck
fillup