Hello

Thanks for the below info, I read the servlet spec and it helped, but I
still can not get the form based authenication to work.  I have attached
the web.xml and tomcat-users.xml files, the welcome-file should be
restricted, it does bring up the login page but then it displays the failed
login page - is there still something wrong with this set up.

Thanks
Julie

web.xml
<welcome-file-list>
     <welcome-file>/assistant/restricted/test.htm</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>
<security-constraint>
     <web-resource-collection>
       <web-resource-name>Assistant</web-resource-name>
       <!-- Define the context-relative URL(s) to be protected -->
       <url-pattern>/restricted/*</url-pattern>
       <http-method>POST</http-method>
       <http-method>GET</http-method>
     </web-resource-collection>
     <auth-constraint>
       <!-- Anyone with one of the listed roles may access this area -->
       <role-name>manager</role-name>
     </auth-constraint>
  </security-constraint>
  <login-config>
     <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
     <form-login-config>
       <form-login-page>/login.htm</form-login-page>
       <form-error-page>/loginFailed.htm</form-error-page>
     </form-login-config>
  </login-config>
  <security-role>
     <role-name>manager</role-name>
  </security-role>

tomcat-users.xml
<tomcat-users>
  <user name="operate" password="operatethis" roles="manager" />
</tomcat-users>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] on 04/29/2002 02:58:49 PM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]