Ah... ok, I just assumed that "Tomcat-Standalone" established the baseline
values that got inherited by the "Tomcat-Apache" service and were used
absent a conflicting value there.

There's still one problem, though...  I changed the appBase in the
Tomcat-Apache section to an absolute path (/export/home/jeff/tomcat), but
it's still being ignored, and Tomcat is still trying to deploy the app into
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3-LE-jdk14/webapps/ (/usr/local/tomcat is a
symlink) instead.

Is this a bug with Tomcat or mod_webapp, or am I still doing something
wrong? I know that Java itself would consider "/export/home/jeff/tomcat" to
be a relative pathname under Windows (because it doesn't begin with a drive
letter), but this is running under SunOS5.8 ... so if it's being interpreted
as relative, I don't know what it could possibly be relative TO since it
begins with a slash ;-)

As an alternate theory as to what might be wrong, are there any requirements
that all the directories LEADING UP to /export/home/jeff/tomcat (/export,
/export/home, and /export/home/jeff) be read/execute for any particular
group or user, or is it sufficient for just appBase
("/export/home/jeff/tomcat") and its contents to be read/write/execute? It
hasn't bitten me in a while, but years ago I went through lots of grief over
APACHE's refusal to serve files unless it had permission to traverse the
ENTIRE path (from / to the directory)...

Thanks!

my new Tomcat-Apache section:

<Service name="Tomcat-Apache">

    <Connector className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpConnector"
     enableLookups="true"
     acceptCount="10" debug="1"/>

    <!--     appBase is being ignored...
                Tomcat is still trying to deploy into
/usr/local/tomcat/webapps -->
    <Engine className="org.apache.catalina.connector.warp.WarpEngine"
     name="tomcat.i300.net" debug="1" appBase="/export/home/jeff/tomcat">

      <!-- Global logger unless overridden at lower levels -->
              prefix="warp." suffix=".txt"
              timestamp="true"/>

      <!-- Because this Realm is here, an instance will be shared
globally -->

    </Engine>
 <ApacheConfig />
  </Service>