I don't think there is an error.  path="" has a special meaning,
i.e. this is the default context.  When a request fails
to match any other context, the request is sent to the default
context.

Internally, the default context is assigned the name "ROOT".
That name is displayed in the startup messages you see and is
used in other ways, such as the work directory name for the
context.  Consistent with this, auto-deployment of a web application
named ROOT implies it should be the default context, and not served as
"/ROOT".

Cheers,
Larry