Hmm... you should have the following as the base minimum for any
context...in your case, the ROOT context:

<IfModule mod_jk.c>
JkWorkersFile "/usr/local/tomcat/conf/jk/workers.properties"
JkLogFile "/var/log/tomcat/jk.log"

JkLogLevel emerg

# Static files
Alias / "/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/ROOT"

<Directory "/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/ROOT">
     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
     DirectoryIndex index.jsp index.html index.htm
</Directory>

# Deny direct access to WEB-INF and META-INF
#
<Location "/WEB-INF/*">
     AllowOverride None
     deny from all