From: Claude Montpetit [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:41 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Xerces Jar

Hi,

My web app needs to use Xerces 2. So I placed the these JARs under
WEB-INF/lib.

Is it normal that Tomcat still uses its own version of Xerces (which is 1.x)
when my servlet creates a SAXParser?
This happens when using Tomcat 4.0.*.

(This causes us problems: The way the SAXParser reads the inputStream
differs between xerces 1.x and 2.x. In 1.x, when running JDK1.4, the parser
waits for all data to be read before calling the DefaultHandler. In Xerces
2, the parser calls the DefaultHandler when the data comes in, which is what
we need.)

I could go on and on testing many more combinaison of versions for JDK,
Xerces, Xalan and Tomcat but so far, the only thing that seems to work for
us is:

    Tomcat 4.0.4-b3-LE-jdk14
    jaxp-1.2-ea2 (which contains Xerces 2)
    JDK 1.4

The reason for this email is mainly to get a confirmation of all this. Does
my conclusions make sense?

... standardizing on XML libraries across different third party products is
not an easy task...

Claude