From: Phillip Morelock [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 6:46 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Heap Size for Tomcat

i actually sent an email regarding this to the list about two weeks ago.

I believe you are correct -- but I have found (only anecdotally) that
the
shutdown one doesn't have a negative impact, because on my platform at
least
(linux) -- even though the Virtual size allocated is huge, the resident
set
size doesn't grow any more quickly than it actually should (apparently
at
least, again I've only experimented with this on Linux).

cheers
fillup

On 5/16/02 4:46 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, yeah except  he wants to get more memory... and wouldn't setting
the
> XXXOPTS variable set the heap size not just for startup but also
shutdown?
> In other words, this way you could get tomcat to start with 512mb of
heap,
> but if you call shutdown.bat/shutdown.sh,  the shutdown vm grabs its
own
> 512mb heap... I dunno...
>
> troy
>

>                     Phillip Morelock