Hi everyone,

I've encountered a bizarre problem with Tomcat 4 stand-alone, regarding the loading of
graphics. Some of the graphics for my site wil load, while others will not, as if they
weren't located on the server. After thorough experimentation with what's NOT
happening, I'm forced to believe that it's the server that's causing the problem. I
searched the tomcat list archives and couldn't find a similar report, so I'm hoping
that someone out there has experienced this anomaly. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Just to clarify what is NOT happening:

1. The graphics (.gif format) are properly located on the server, in valid file
formats, with correct permissions.

2. When forcing the server to load a graphic, either by selecting "Show Picture" from
the browser's context menu or accessing a single graphic through a URL request, the
graphic loads correctly every time.

3. This symptom may occur even on tiled images, such as body background graphics. Some
of the tiles draw, while others do not. This symptom is present on IE5 and Netscape
6.2, tested on Win2k and MacOS X.

4. The problem occurs randomly; it does not seem to be predictable/reproduceable. A
graphic will load correctly in one instance and fail to load in another.

scott judd
programmer
the american education corporation