This nice way is: request.getRemoteUser(). However, this doesn't seem to
work with mod_webapp, I haven't figured out why and no one had an
explanation when I asked. I'm using an ugly base64 decode as a work around
until I get another connector working. getRemoteUser() does seem to work
(from what others have posted) with jk if you put the following in the
connector part of you server.xml

tomcatAuthentication="false"

I haven't figured out what relation coyote has to all this, related to jk,
competitor, etc. Seems to be different than mod_webapp.

Lloyd