i've got a "ghetto-fabulous" solution -- just put an index.html there with a
0-delay refresh or a javascript refresh.

I actually do it with a php script that sends a redirect header instead,
because for some reason apache's default "index.php" thing will still work
(if you have PHP installed, that is).

I know this isn't exactly what you wanted but I, too, get puzzled by the
layering of TC/Connector/Apache, etc. sometimes....and often I just find a
good little workaround like this rather than futz with configuration.

good luck
fillup