Hello,

I am still trying to setup tomcat for multiple instances.
I read RUNNING.txt but it is rather incomplete
in section (4) as it does not describe what a
minimal set of files and their contents in
${CATALINA_BASE} would consist of in this
case...

As a regular user I created a new directory called ~/tomcat and added the
CATALINA_BASE directory to my ~/.bash_profile so that it looks like this:

export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/local/jdk/bin
export JAVA_HOME="/usr/local/j2sdk1.4.0"
export CLASSPATH=".:/usr/local/j2sdkee1.3.1/lib/j2ee.jar"
export CATALINA_HOME="/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.3"
export CLASSPATH=${CLASSPATH}:/usr/local/saxon/saxon.jar
export CATALINA_BASE=${HOME}/tomcat

Then I created the four directories mentioned in RUNNING.txt (4) with:

mkdir ${CATALINA_BASE}/{conf,logs,webapps,work}

Now what? I can start tomcat but cannot shut it down:

Catalina.stop: java.lang.Exception: Can't open config file:
/home/nzanella/tomcat/conf/server.xml due to: java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/home/nzanella/tomcat/conf/server.xml (No such file or directory)

Does anyone know what a minimal installation of files under ${CATALINA_BASE}
should consist of in order to allow the running of servlets and jsps?
Where should they be placed? How do I access them with a web browser?

Thanks,

Neil