I don't know if it's the minimal set, but it works for me:

${CATALINA_BASE}/conf
${CATALINA_BASE}/conf/server.xml
${CATALINA_BASE}/conf/tomcat-users.xml
${CATALINA_BASE}/conf/web.xml
${CATALINA_BASE}/conf/catalina.policy
${CATALINA_BASE}/webapps/<Context>
  // Replace <Context> with the name of your
  // Context (Default=ROOT)

You access it with an url like
localhost:8080
if you are browsing from the server.

<hostname>:8080
if you are browsing from your intranet

8080 is the port you defined in server.xml for the http connector.