Hi Alex,
I think that's actully up to the browser to determinate wheter the
browser should display the data, if a helper application should do so or
if the user should be prompted to download the file without displaying
or executing it. So, in other words, what you need to do is to say on
the page which links to the file that if the browser just displays the
data you need to press [ALT] on Mac while downloading (and is it [SHIFT]
on Windows?). However if your userbase i pretty constant like on an
intranet you could send out instructions that files with the extension
fls shouldn't be displayed in the browser but instead should the user be
prompted for download (or maybe even more convinient - opened in the
right application).

Markus