For connection you are out of luck.

There is nothing like a common event model for
connections or connection pools. (No driver
or pool that I know has a feature like this).

One solution if you have complete control over
any class that accesses the database:

Wrap the pool or the connection inside a own class
that delegates all get/release calls to the underlying
class and track the connection count.

If you have third party tools that access the database
I think that you have lost with the most databases.
With some database it's possible to get a list of
open connection through system views or stored procedures.
(E.g. Oracle) but that's not portable.

<snip/>
> I'd like to write a bean that would keep track of all
> of the jdbc connections that users make.
<snip/>