Hello John,

Well, I have been using the classes12.jar in TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.
I've used it with both the JNDI javax.sql.DataSource deal provided by
the Jakarta-Commons project and another connection pooler.  I've never
had a single problem.  I've used JDK-1.3.x and JDK-1.4 and haven't had
to remove any classes from anywhere.  If you are having to do this
with Tomcat-4.0.3, I suggest an upgrade to the latest 4.0.4 or 4.1.x
betas.  They are plenty stable and fix some classloading issues.  I
pretty much skipped from Tomcat-4.0.2-b2 to nightly builds of 4.1
because of so many classloading issues with the final release of 4.0.2
(and 4.0.3 is just 4.0.2 + a security fix).

Jake

JG> Once I tapped in to the bootstrap process with my debugger a little earlier
JG> in the Tomcat startup process, I could see the conditions under which some
JG> jar files are excluded from the various class loaders.  The Oracle
JG> classes12.jar file contains the javax.sql stuff, which is now included in
JG> jdk 1.4.  Tomcat ignores any jar files that contain classes that were once
JG> separate from the standard jdk but are now part of it, such as the jdbc
JG> extensions, jndi stuff, etc.  The solution was simply to remove the
JG> javax.sql stuff from the Oracle clsses12.jar file.

JG> john

Best regards,
 Jacob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]