It's probaly not a timeout of the connection object, but
one of the database server. If the database server has
a timeout for open connections, the connection on the driver
side is 'open' but not functional any more. What exactly
happens depends on the driver. (I've seen posts where people
reported that isClosed() still return false in such a case
for a certain driver). My last contact with oracle is to long
ago to be more specific. But I know that there is a default
timeout for connections in oracle (No, I can't remember how
to query or set it).