Yes linux has a complete different process model:
Every thread has it's own pid.
The PID you get is at best the one of the thread that
is used to run the servlet. Chances are high that this
thread doesn't live anymore. The worst that can happen,
is that the pid is reassigned to a complete different
program (if your server runs long enough). If you kill
that you might get unpredicted results.

Have a look at your linux system with pstree -ap
I don't know if such tool is part of solaris,
if not you can get one here:
http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc8.html#pstree

I see two better options
- use one of the ports that is used by tomcat, get the pid
  and go on.
- Use a comand line argument to identify the java instance
  and use a combination of ps and grep to identify the pid
  (That's the way we handle our sites for 3 years now)