Thanks Milt... yes I'm reading servlet programming by the same author, he'd written a
servlet example that reads and writes a counter to an external file resource but it
seems the file location varies depending on the container implementation - I was
trying to understand how to determine an exact location of a resource for reading
from, and writing to.

Any further advice gratefully accepted.

/j-p.