From: Jacob Kjome [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 9:39 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re[2]: MOD_JK Problem ?

Hello Mark,

A binary version of mod_jk for Windows that works with Apache 2.0.39 has
been made available at this
site:
http://www.acg-gmbh.de/mod_jk/

Note that the only reason the old module didn't work with Apache 2.0.39 is
that something changed in Apache, not the Tomcat connectors. The connectors
just needed to be compiled against the newer version of Apache.

As much as you and I would like the Apache developers to produce binary
versions of the software they develop, it is not really their
responsibility.  It is all of ours.  If you believe differently, then you
misunderstand open source.  I'm not so familiar with how to compile mod_jk,
but that is no reason to expect someone else to do it for me.  Luckily,
people from the open source community pitch in and help each other out.
That is what the person at the site mentioned above has done.  He's given
his time to help out others.  This help should not be taken for granted.
Your business is not Apache Software's responsibility.  They provide the
tools.  You need to be resourceful, or know someone who is resourceful,
enough to use them. And keep in mind that Open source is not free as in
"free beer", it is free as in "freedom of thought and expression".  If you
don't want to use it, that is up to you, but the source is available for you
to use as freely as you like.  However, no one owes you anything.  Keep that
in mind at all times.

Jake

Monday, June 24, 2002, 7:09:51 AM, you wrote:

FM> Nothing but agreement here, today will be the 5th business day that
FM> I will spend trying to figure out why Apache 2 and Tomcat 4 will not
FM> work together. I should be able to download them configure them and
FM> just go.  Everyone says use Apache/Tomcat it's free, what they don't
FM> say is it's free for a reason.

FM> -Thanks,
FM> Mark

Apache 2
FM> with Tomcat 4 working, both with mod_webapp and mod_jk, before giving up
and
FM> going back to Apache 1.3.  Granted, I am not experienced with tomcat,
which
FM> may account for some of the delay, but your comments are right on the
money.

FM> All due respect to the developers, but the idea that Apache 2, Tomcat 4,
and
FM> the connectors are all separate projects, with little or no coordination
(as
FM> far as I can tell) is really disappointing.  To me, that seems like a
big
FM> mistake.

FM> John Turner
FM> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've
FM> downgraded back to apache 1 again...

FM> Given that Apache Tomcat is the reference Servlet Implementation, I
think
FM> that something needs to be done soon.  You basically can't use it with
the
FM> world's most popular web server.  It seems to me that there is very
little
FM> co-ordination between the separate Apache, Tomcat and Apache-Tomcat
FM> connectors projects. Just take a look under
FM> http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat-connectors/ - apart from
FM> coyote, there is rather a sad dearth of content.

FM> I'm very sorry to have written this message which I'm sure will offend
some
FM> very hard working people.  I don't want to offend anyone, but I think
FM> someone needs to say this.  The Apache organisation has set and achieved
FM> some very high standards, and this area is significantly below par.

FM> Sorry.

FM> Andy

Best regards,
 Jacob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]