On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Jacob Kjome wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 18:30:02 -0500
> From: Jacob Kjome <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: question about hot deployment and manager app....
>

> Hi,
>
> I've been using the ant tasks for the manager app and they are really
> slick.  Makes testing much easier.
>
> However, how does one dynamically install an application when one has
> to specify context stuff in the server.xml or in a standalone
> [myapp].xml (using Tomcat 4.1.3)?

I do this by using the "install" task that installs a "context
configuration file".  What's that, you might ask?  It's simply an XML file
that contains the <Context> element for your webapp, including all of its
nested tags for the custom configuration you need.  Something like this:

  <target name="install" depends="main"
    <install url="${url}" username="${username}" password="${password}"
     path="/myapp" war="file://${build.home}/myapp.xml"/>

In later versions (starting with 4.1.5 I think) you can also use this kind
of thing with the deploy command -- simply put a "META-INF/context.xml"
file in your WAR file that is uploaded.

> I'd like to run my builds from anywhere and not have Tomcat attempt to
> load the app up at startup.  I need to specify the context in the
> [myapp].xml because I have Reource and ResourceParams for JDBC
> connection pooling.
>
> Is this impossible or am I just missing something?

Yep ... it is definitely possible, and very handy.

> --
> Best regards,
>  Jacob                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Craig