Hi,

        I just installed Tomcat 4.03 in a Linux/RedHat 7.1 box, and I'm
having the following problem:

        When I call a shtml, html page the browser set character
encoding as Unicode (UTF-8) even though the page has the proper META TAG

        <META content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
http-equiv=Content-Type>

If I change character encoding to Western European (ISO) on the browser
the page reloads automatically and the error disappear. If I reload the
page the encoding is changed again to UTF-8.

        If a call a JSP it works just fine, encoding is correct.

        I have tried this with IE 6, Netscape 6 on Windows and Mozilla,
Netscape and Konqueror on Linux, always same result.

        Locale settings on Linux box are set to es_VE, I also tried
en_CA.

        I have set debug level to 6 in all servlets with no luck.

        Any idea?

        Thanks in advance

bye