The problem with homemade digital certificates generated with the
Keytool is that they are self signed, then IExplorer and other browsers
does
not trust them and does not let you use it for user authentication.
However if you make your own CA using openssl and you generates server and
client certificates you will see that it works. You have only to add
your new CA on the trusted group for IExplorer (similar with other
browsers).

When you make a connection to a secure server, it returns data about in
which  CAs it will accepct (which CA, means which client digital
certificates
signed with the given CAs)

You can also use Thawte test certificates (client & server) but it is
the same if you use openssl as I describe above.

Please, send me your howto and I will take a look :)

By the way If you use Apache as frontend your setup will work better and
faster and you will be able to make load balance ;)