Other things I noticed with postgres:
  - If you want 24x7 uptime the vacuum command is a show
    stopper because it optains table locks. So you can't
    make updates while the vacuum runs. (Otherwise you risk
    deadlocks)
    The latest postgres version has shortened the time
    where the lock is hold, but the lock is still there.
  - The last time I tried postgres, it (or the driver) didn't
    support alias names in selects.
  - The previous version of postres has a significant
    performance degration if you join to many tables. One
    of our custumers had joins over 10 to 15 tables and the
    performance was horrible, so we had to switch to a commecial
    one (MySQL was not an option as the application uses views
    and subselects, Firebird was not ready). Haven't tried the
    current version.