Using Tomcat 3.2.1/Sun's JRE 1.3.1_03

If a user makes two requests very quickly so the first request's socket
connection is closed, a subsequent forward of the request results in a
java.net.SocketException.  Well and good, I catch the exception.  Realizing
that
no response is possible, I log the error and basically do nothing.  The
second request is processed and all is well.

However, using JProbe's memory debugger, I have found that objects created
during the processing of the first request (the one whose socket connection
has been closed) are not being garbage collected.

In other words, if, during testing of the application, I make requests so as
not to cause an overrun, all memory is garbage collected as expected.
However, any overrun results in loitering objects.

Is there something that Tomcat wants or requires from me when this situation
occurs?  Any ideas?