On Tue, 9 Jul 2002, Manchan wrote:

> Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:22:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Manchan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Tomcat LIB and Java CLASSPATH
>
> Can anyone verify this statement?:
>
> "Tomcat Engine reads only the *.jar files located
> within its specified directories, and redefines the
> CLASSPATH variable for its personal use while
> running."
>
> This is how I'm guessing how things are working.

Fairly close, although the CLASSPATH environment variable itself is only
used to identify where the startup classes are -- it's not used for
application classes.  This makes sense when you think about it, because
there is only one CLASSPATH but lots of applications ....

The gory details about how class loading in Tomcat works are in the
"class-loader-howto.html" document included in the standard "tomcat-docs"
webapp, and also available online (for whichever version you are running):

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

Craig