A quick and dirty solution I've done for this is to put a file called
Server.properties in Tomcat's root classes directory, that contains things
like the smtp host and if the server is running in live or test mode (a
good thing to
know if you're doing CC processing :-)

My apps then look for the Server resource bundle, and act accordingly.
Since the TOMCAT_HOME/classes directory is never touched by webapp
deployment, I know it will remain configured correctly no matter how many
times I deploy the app.

James