It is platform independent, but not guaranteed to work in the case that
your webapp is running directly out of a .war file.  In that case, doing
sc.getRealPath("/") will return null since the app does not exist on the
file system.

So, as long as you make sure that your app is deployed from a directory
directly off the filesystem, you are good as gold.  Just make sure to do a
null check on the result of getRealPath("/") just to make sure.

Jake