Howdy,
One idea that may be possible is to not share development, testing, and
production machines.  Ideally, the production server should be by
itself, powerful, and containing the bare minimum software to run your
application.  (This is for both performance and security reasons).

I'm not doubting it, but I'm curious: what makes you think that tomcat
internals are taking up a lot of memory compared to your application
classes?

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

className="org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector"
>               port="8000" minProcessors="5" maxProcessors="75"
>               enableLookups="true" redirectPort="8005"
>               acceptCount="10" debug="0" connectionTimeout="60000"/>
>    <Engine name="eAdminEngine" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
>      <Host name="localhost" debug="0"
appBase="/dvl/admin/perseus_www/"
>unpackWARs="true">
>        <Logger className="org.apache.catalina.logger.FileLogger"
>            directory="/dvl/admin/perseus_www/log"
prefix="localhost_log."