Check this link for more info on class loading.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/class-loader-howto.html

But it was my understanding that only Tomcat loads the classes and jars
located in the /server directory.

If you need access to it in your webapp, you have to either put the jar
in yourwebapp/WEB-INF/lib or in the shared library section.

For 4.0.4, shared libraries go in %CATALINA%\lib.  With 4.1.x, they go
in %CATALINA%\shared\lib.

- Andrew